These portobello eggs with hollandaise sauce are a delicious low carb breakfast or lunch. Meaty portobellos, garlicky spinach and a sunny side up egg, topped with a rich and delicious hollandaise sauce.
I saw portobello mushroom caps in the store the other day and was trying to think about what I can make with them. Have you ever tried them? They are so flavorful and at the perfect vehicle to stuffed with other tasty ingredients. Today I was think I would go with a nice breakfast or brunch recipes and came up with these portobello eggs with hollandaise sauce. I was going to make it more like eggs benedict but decided to nix the ham and keep it more of a vegetarian dish. It was elegant yet easy and tasty! Definitely makes a great lunch too!
I have a lot of portobello mushroom recipes on the blog. They are a great alternative to a bun. I have Philly steak filled portobello and fajita filled portobellos but my favorite is a bacon blue cheese burger filled portobello. It’s awesome! You an see pic below.
I’ve never made a hollandaise sauce before but it was quite easy in the blender. To make this dish you start by cleaning the mushrooms and baking them for 10 minutes. While that’s happening you lightly saute spinach and garlic in a skillet and start frying your eggs. When it’s all assembled you then start the hollandaise sauce in the blender.
Portobello Eggs with Hollandaise Sauce
The sauce is pretty easy. You add the egg yolks and spices and blend on low. Then you slowly add in the melted butter. It should be rich and creamy. If you have any problems with your sauce, check out this article on Kitchn.com which troubleshoots the blender sauce. It worked fine for me on the first try. Make sure to make the sauce right before eating so it doesn’t break. These are pretty filling for breakfast so I made a few and kept them for the next day. I liked them with and without the hollandaise sauce. The nutritional information is:
1 portobello egg =
152 cals / 11.6g fat / 3.5g carbs / 1.7g fiber / 8.4g protein = 1.8g net carbs
1 tablespoon of hollandaise =
86 cals / 9.2g fat / 0.2g carbs / 1g protein = 0.2g net carbs
- 2 portobellos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Clean mushrooms by taking of the stems and scraping out the gills.
- Spray with oil and add to a cookie sheet with the tops up.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the olive oil and garlic to a large saute pan for a minute or so. Then add the spinach for a few minutes so that it wilts a bit. Just a bit.
- When that is done, pan fry your eggs sunny side up.
- When the mushrooms are done, add them to the plates, top with spinach and then the egg.
- Now make your hollandaise by melting the butter in the microwave.
- Meanwhile add the yolks, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and pepper to a blender and blend on low for a few seconds to combine.
- Let the butter cool a little but make sure it's still liquid. Turn the blender on low and very slowly pour in the blender.
- When you have poured all the butter, turn up to high and blend for 30 seconds.
- Use immediately by pouring over eggs.
- blender hollandaise
More portobello recipes!