These cheesy meatball stuffed peppers are perfect for the meat lover. Mozzarella stuffed inside a huge meatball that’s stuffed in a sweet bell pepper. Perfection!
Peppers are the perfect vehicle to stuff with just about anything you want. The other day I thought I would like to stuffed them with a big meatball. I had intended to make these low carb but decided to make a traditional meatball in the end. I thought this was a sure way to get my son to eat stuffed peppers and he did, but I think it was my hubby who liked these cheesy meatball stuffed peppers the most.
My hubby loves peppers so that is why I have lots of stuffed pepper recipes on this blog. One of his favorites is these buffalo chicken stuffed chile peppers pictured above. You can see more stuffed pepper recipes below. He already told me that he’s taking over my spot in the garden where I grow swiss card and kale, to grow even more peppers! I’m actually excited for him to grow more peppers but I’m still growing my chard and kale. Maybe in containers?
My sister had told me about doing this along time of go and I had forgot about it. Her husband makes the best meatballs and sauce ever. He learned from his Italian mother and they have my whole family over when he makes her sauce. It’s delicious! Anyway I used a variation of his meatball recipe and stuffed the middle with shredded mozzarella. I used 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese in each but next time I am going to try string cheese. I think it would be easier to form the meatballs around the string cheese.
To make the meatballs I mixed the ingredients together and divided the meat into 8 portions. Then taking the first portion, I quickly rolled it into a ball and flattened it. Then I placed the cheese in the middle and formed the meatball around it. Once all the meatballs are rolled, gently place them in the pepper cups. I used my absolute favorite marinara sauce which is Trader Joe’s Tuscano marinara in a can. Pour your favorite marinara over the top and bake for about 30 minutes. When they are finished baking, pull them out of the oven and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake for about 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Make sure the peppers are tender too. Peppers today have very thick walls so you want to make sure you can pierce them with a fork.
Cheesy Meatball Stuffed Peppers
So that’s it for these super easy but oh so tasty stuffed peppers. Since this made 8 huge portions I froze a couple for my hubby. I hope you like these as much as we do and if you want to make them low carb, just substitute the bread crumbs with almond flour and use a low carb sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- ½ cup grated cheese (Romano or Parmesan)
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup mozzarella, shredded *
- 28 oz of marinara sauce (I used Trader Joes Tuscano)
- 4 bell peppers, halved and cleaned.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each bell pepper in half across the middle. Clean out the insides and remove the stems to make little cups and place in a baking dish.
- Mix the meat, eggs, garlic, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together and divide into 8 portions.
- Take each portion and roll into a ball and then flatten. Add 2 tablespoons of cheese in the middle and then close the meat over it and form into a meatball. Continue with the rest of the meatballs
- Gently place the meatballs into the pepper cups and then pour the marinara sauce over them.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then take them out and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella on top and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- * Next time I make these I am going to try string cheese. They might be a lot easier to form the meatballs around. I have not tried this yet but wanted to offer it as a suggestion.
More ways to stuff a pepper!