This wrapped asparagus with goat cheese & balsamic glaze is an easy and elegant side dish with only 6 ingredients. Salty ham, creamy cheese, fresh asparagus topped with sweet glaze and crunchy pine nuts. Perfection!
My husband bought a meat slicer. Yes a meat slicer. More about that in another post, however I have to admit it’s pretty cool. I had bought a small piece of ham and we had slices in the fridge so I thought it would be fun to use them to wrap around asparagus. But then of course I had to add some goat cheese and pine nuts because I seem to be putting that on everything these days. It needed something else though, like a balsamic glaze! Perfection. I think these ham wrapped asparagus with goat cheese and balsamic glaze has it all. It’s salty, sweet, tart, crunchy, creamy, chewy and well just delicious. It’s also one the easiest recipes I’ve ever made. It only has 6 ingredients and looks very pretty.
If you are sick of the goat cheese and pine nut combination like the golden beet noodles dish I just made, I’ll give it a rest for awhile. However if you like it, you will love this one! I used regular baked ham slices (using our meat slicer) but prosciutto would be awesome and I just didn’t have any. Bacon would work too. And you don’t need to add the pine nuts if you don’t have any, however I wouldn’t skip the balsamic glaze. It’s quite easy. You just dissolve some sugar in a pan with balsamic vinegar and cook down. That’s all and it adds so much taste. I can’t wait to use it on something else.
This would be a great dish to serve at a dinner party but I actually ate it for lunch. To make the asparagus bundles you take a slice of ham, add a teaspoon of goat cheese on it and then a few asparagus spears. Slowly wrap the ham around the spears to keep the cheese inside. Then you bake them while you make the glaze. By the time the asparagus is done, the glaze should be done. Drizzle a bit over the asparagus and then top with goat cheese and pine nuts. Easy peasy!
Wrapped Asparagus with Goat Cheese & Balsamic Glaze
I hope you like this asparagus dish. Asparagus are so nice and fresh this time of year, I like to find more ways to use them. My hubby was impressed with this dish (I don’t really know why). Probably because I used his meat slicer but I’ll take it! Enjoy!
- 40 thin asparagus spears, cleaned and trimmed
- 8 thin slices of ham
- 4 oz of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small sauce pan, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens, then take off of the stove.
- Meanwhile spray a large baking dish.
- Lay a piece of ham then 5 asparagus stalks and top with a 1 teaspoon of goat cheese.
- Wrap the ham around the cheese and asparagus and place in the baking dish. Continue with the rest of the ham.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the asparagus cooks through.
- Take out of the oven and drizzle the balsamic glaze over top.
- Sprinkle remaining goat cheese and pine nuts over the glaze and serve.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More asparagus dishes!