A delicious vegetable lasagna without noodles! Yes, it’s all veggies, cheeses and marinara sauce for a tasty gluten free, vegetarian dinner. (You won’t miss the noodles!)
I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time. I love zucchini and eggplant by my husband does not. So one night when he wasn’t going to be home for dinner I made this vegetable lasagna without noodles for myself and I loved it. I knew I would. What’s not to love? It’s full of a variety of cheeses and creamy ricotta and some of my favorite veggies. I also liked it because it was gluten free and vegetarian which is a nice change sometimes. Unfortunately neither my hubby nor my son will eat this but maybe that’s a good thing as that means more for me. I frozen a few pieces for a quick and tasty lunch!
I pretty much followed the same method as my mom’s unforgettable lasagna. For a traditional lasagna I really think it’s the best I ever had so check it out. However I skipped the meat sauce and used Trader Joe’s Tuscano Marinara sauce from a can. I really like the taste of it and I use it a lot in my cooking. It’s very convenient to have on hand. (Just a little tip for ya.)
The hardest thing about this dish is getting the veggies soft. I precooked the peppers by dropping them in a pot of boiling water and cooking for about 6 minutes. Then I peeled off the skins and flattened them. The key for the eggplant and zucchini is to slice them very thin. I use this mandoline that I bought at a tupperware party but I also have one I bought at Aldi for $5 and it works great too! If you have good knife skills just make sure you slice them lengthwise very thin.
Vegetable Lasagna without Noodles
The ricotta mixture is simply ricotta, egg yolks and parsley. The layers are veggies -> ricotta -> marinara -> cheese then repeat. I did a layer each of peppers, zucchini and eggplant. I hope you give this try and that your family is more tolerant of eggplant and zucchini. 😉 And if they aren’t that just means more for you because I’m sure you will love it!
- 2 red peppers, cut in half length-wise
- ½ eggplant, sliced thin
- 2 zucchinis, sliced thin
- 1 15 oz container of whole milk ricotta
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 28 oz marinar sauce (I use Trader Joes)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place a large pot filled with water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Add in the peppers and boil for 6 minutes.
- Take out of the water, cool and then peel off the skins. Set aside.
- Mix the ricotta, egg yolks and parley and set aside.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom.
- Top with ⅓ of the ricotta mixture.
- Add ⅓ of the tomato sauce on top of the ricotta.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup of the Parmesan cheese and ⅓ cup of the mozzarella.
- Continue with a layer of zucchini, ricotta, sauce and cheese.
- Then make the last layer the peppers, ricotta, sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes then take off the foil and cool for another 15 minutes or until browned on top.
- Test the vegetables with a fork to make sure tender. Cooking time will depend upon the thickness of the vegetables.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More eggplant and zucchini dishes!