We eat a lot of soup in my house, especially in winter. I think this easy pot roast soup is one of the most perfect dishes. It has your meat, starch and vegetable all wrapped up in a nourishing bone broth. And when you make it in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, you only have one pot to clean. It doesn’t get much easier than that. My husband really liked it so I will be making this one again. I should have given it to my father in law. That would have been the real test. 😉
The thing about cooking pieces of beef in the Instant pot is that it gets very tender. I hate chewy meat so this is definitely a plus for me. To make this dish, I first browned the meat a bit using the saute function and then pressure cooked it for 10 minutes first. Then I added the other ingredients and cooked it some more. I wanted to make sure the meat got tender but the vegetables kept their shaped. If you were to do this in a slow cooker you could just add everything in the crock and cook all day. Slow cookers are good that way. However today I didn’t end up making this until closer to dinner time so into the Instant Pot it went.
Easy Pot Roast Soup
You might say this is a stew but it’s really not in my opinion. To me it has the classic combination of a pot roast: meat, potatoes, carrots and celery. I also used an onion soup packet since I often use that to make my pot roast. A few more spices and some bone broth and that’s it. By the way, one of the best beef bone broths you can buy is Kettle & Fire. It’s made from grass fed cows and tasty too!
All you need to complete this meal is a good piece of crusty bread. And this would all so be great to make if you had leftover pot roast. You could throw the cooked meat in at the end. I’ll have to try that next time. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs beef roast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 32 oz beef bone broth (I use Kettle & Fire Bone Broth)
- 2 cups potoates, cubed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 packet of onion soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 3 cups water
- Instant Pot
- Press the saute button and add your oil. When hot add your meat, salt and pepper and brown for a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the beef broth, cover and pressure cook using the manual button for 10 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes and then release and open lid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and pressure cook using the manual button for 15 minutes.
- Let pressure come down naturally, remove lid and serve.
- Slow Cooker
- Add all your ingredients and stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours (times may vary).
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
20 more soup recipes!