This Buffalo chicken quinoa skillet dish is spicy, creamy and delicious. Try this warm and comforting casserole for an easy week night dinner.
As I may have mentioned before, my husband I love hot peppers and grew a lot this summer. He came to me with a bunch of Anaheim peppers that I stuffed for a big family party we were having the next day. Well he really loved them (and they will soon be on the blog) so I played around a little with the ingredients and came up with this Buffalo chicken quinoa skillet dinner.
I forgot how much I like quinoa. I made two dry cups and had so much left over. I’ve been eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner (recipes coming soon). Leftover cooked quinoa really works well in salads, side dishes (like my vegetable quinoa pilaf) and casseroles.
This dish is a bit spicy. You can alter the heat by cleaning out your peppers well. That is cleaning out all the ribs on the inside and of course the seeds. That will take out some of the heat. Also you can use less hot sauce if you like. We love the heat and coupled with the creaminess of the cheeses and the quinoa, it was just perfect for us.
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Skillet
I used rotisserie chicken and cooked quinoa so this dish didn’t take much time at all. You essentially saute the onions and peppers, then add the tomatoes, cream cheese and spices and mix until it all melds together. Lastly you mix in the quinoa and chicken, sprinkle the cheddar on top and bake until it’s done.
I hope you like this as much as we did. My hubby is really digging the quinoa which is a nice change from rice or pasta. It’s full of protein and other good things but I just like it because it’s something different for us. I think this recipe would freeze well and the leftovers were just as good the next day. So I hope you give it a try and if you do, please stop back and let me know. Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup Anaheim chiles, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (fire roasted if possible)
- ¼ cup hot sauce sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 cup chicken, cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Add oil to a large oven safe skillet and heat to medium high heat.
- Put in the onions and peppers and saute for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add in the tomatoes, hot sauce, garlic and cream cheese.
- Mix well until all the cream cheese is melted.
- Add in the chicken and quinoa and mix well.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the whole thing and pop into the oven for 20 minutes.