This creamy chicken & broccoli soup uses cauliflower cream to make a healthy, hearty soup. Low calorie, Paleo and gluten free.
Winter is coming. I can’t say that anymore without thinking of The Game of Thrones or Jon Snow. I like thinking about Jon Snow, but I digress. When the weather starts to cool, I start to make soup, like this creamy chicken & broccoli soup. Because I’m using a cauliflower cream to thicken it instead of flour, this creamy soup becomes a healthy, Paleo and gluten free soup. Best of all it’s hearty and tasty!
Have you made cauliflower cream yet? It’s very easy and if you haven’t you should give it a try. Take my basic recipe below and add herbs and spices to make it your own. It’s a great tool to have for healthy cooking. Cauliflower is such a delicious and versatile vegetable. I have many good cauliflower recipes if you are interested that you can check out here.
So you can see I really like my cauliflower and also using cauliflower cream. To make cauliflower cream, I first cook cauliflower florets and retain the cooking liquid. Then I add the cauliflower, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and spices to a high speed blender along with a little of the cooking liquid. Blend on high and you have your creamy cauliflower mixture!
So now you can make any creamy soup you like. Today I was in the mood for chicken and broccoli for some reason. I always keep cooked, chopped chicken breast in the freezer for soup. I just thawed that and steamed some broccoli I had on hand. The base of this soup is chicken broth. I used water and Better than Buillon (affiliate link) because I feel like it adds a lot of flavor to all my soups. You can just use canned broth or powdered bouillon, but you might want to add a bit more seasoning for taste.
Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Soup
So that my friends is all there is to it. You can make this recipe in less than 30 minutes and have a healthy, deliciously creamy soup! Even though I won’t get to see what happens to Jon Snow until next spring, I’ll have this soup to keep me warm this winter. Enjoy!
1 serving = 264 cal / 12.8g fat / 17g carbs / 6.9g fiber / 23.7g protein = 10.6g net carbs
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon
- 2 Tablespoons utritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- Creamy Cauliflower Sauce:
- In a pot add cauliflower and enough water to almost cover florets.
- Cover and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Once the cauliflower is tender drain but retain the water.
- Add the cauliflower to a high speed blender or food processor. To that add the olive oil, yeast, onion powder, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper and 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Puree until smooth.
- For The Soup:
- Cook broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- In another saucepan melt butter and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add broccoli and chicken to the onions and stir.
- Add the 1 cup of water and Better Than Bouillon. You can substitute 1 cup of chicken broth if you wish. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add pureed cauliflower mixture to the soup. If you desire a thinner consistency add a bit more water or chicken broth. Cook until flavors meld, about 5 minutes.