This blue cheese marinated flank steak is so tasty and easy. Only 2 ingredients for the perfect summer meal on the grill.
Do you have old recipes that you love but forgot about? That’s the beauty of having food blog. You have all your favorite recipes at your fingertips. This blue cheese marinated flank steak is an old favorite that my mom used to make in the summertime. For some reason I forgot about it but it’s something my whole family loves and it’s oh so easy to make. There are a few tips you have to remember but it only requires a bottle of blue cheese and a flank steak.
I think I told you how I love meals on the grill. Less work for me and more for my hubby who is the grill master in the house. I know how to use a grill but one time I melted the siding on the house so hubby doesn’t trust me anymore. Oh well, less work for me! Here are a few other grilling recipes we love.
Flank steak is a great piece of meat when you marinate it and it’s delicious on the grill. I particularly like the flavor that blue cheese dressing imparts on this dish but you could also use Italian dressing to marinate your flank steak.
Now for the tips. You have to look closely but between the photo above and the photo below you can see how you have to score the meat before you marinate it. If you look at the raw meat, you can see how the grain of the meat goes from left to right. To cut against the grain you want to cut perpendicular to the grain or from top to bottom in the picture below. That always confuses me but it’s important with a piece of meat like a flank steak. It will be WAY more tender if you do that.
Now the for the diamond pattern. Cut diagonally left to right and then right to left to form the diamond pattern on the steak. That’s going to hold all that yummy blue cheese dressing in the steak while it marinates. You want to do this on both sides of the steak and you also want to make sure not to cut to far in the steak. Just score it lightly.
Another thing about this recipe is that you really need to grill it. Otherwise you will have a sickly looking, gray piece of meat. Look how beautiful it looks with the browned bits. Believe me, it tastes oh so good.
This meat is very flavorful and I served steamed green beans and curried carrots with it. It is a light and healthy meal for the summer time. Even Max loved this meat and that of course makes me happy. He really is becoming a better eater as he’s growing up. Yay! I hope you enjoyed this recipe. Have you ever grilled flank steak? How do you marinate or season it?
- 1 large flank steak
- 1 bottle blue cheese salad dressing
- The night before or early morning of when you want to eat this, prepare the steak.
- Take a sharp knife and score the meat in a diagonal direction and then score the meat in a diagonal direction the other way. There should be a diamond pattern on the meat.
- Flip the meat over and do the same thing on the other side. Make sure not to cut too deep.
- Slather blue cheese dressing all over both sides of the steak.
- Place in a ziplock bag or container and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- When ready to use, grill the steak as you would any steak, approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- Let sit 5 minutes before carving to retain the juices.
- Carve against the grain for more tender pieces.