These low carb chocolate strawberry treats take only minutes to make. Keep a stash in your freezer for a quick and healthy treat. Strawberries are so beautiful and flavorful this time of year but as much as I like them plain, a little dark chocolate never hurt anyone. 😉 I made these little treats one day because I was in the mood for a chocolate covered strawberry but wanted a little more chocolate to strawberry ratio. I came up with this quick little recipe and I keep them on hand in the freezer for when my sweet tooth comes calling. Which is often. They only take a few minutes to make and they have only 2.1g of net carbs.
I bought this little heart mold at the dollar store a long time ago. Boy have I got my use out of it (chocolate peanut butter treats, lemon herb butter). It really does the trick for frozen treats because they are so easy to pop out. I liked this heart shape too because if you cut a strawberry vertically it looks like a heart doesn’t it and fits perfectly in the mold for this treat. All you need to make these are a couple strawberries, a few pieces of dark chocolate and some coconut oil. For the dark chocolate I used 6 squares (about 2.6 oz) of Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Dark Chocolate. It’s 72% cacao and has less carbs than milk chocolate. If you have a better chocolate you’d like to use, by all means use it. If you are not counting carbs feel free to use your favorite chocolate….dark, milk, white, whatever. I used the coconut oil to thin out the chocolate a bit to make it pour more easily. That way I use a bit less chocolate. Depending on the chocolate you use, you might not need to use it. Simply melt your chocolate in the microwave with the coconut oil (if using), pour a bit into the bottom of the mold. Then pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to harden. Next add your strawberry slices and melt the rest of your chocolate. Pour the melted chocolate on top of the strawberries and then pop in the freezer. Voila you have your low carb chocolate strawberry treats! I like to store these in a ziplock bag in the freezer and then I eat one or two after dinner or when I’m craving something sweet. I know this is rather simplistic but it’s a nice little treat for me and I wanted to share it with you. Enjoy!
1 piece = 45 cals / 3.5g fat / 2.9g carbs / 0.8g fiber / 0.4g protein = 2.1g net carbs
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 2.6 oz Trader Joes Pound Plus Dark Chocolate (6 squares)
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- Add half of your chocolate to a pyrex or microwave safe bowl along with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Heat in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring in between until melted. Note you don't want to overcook your chocolate so when you see just a few chunks, they will probably melt as you stir.
- Pour in the bottom of your molds, just enough to cover the bottom.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Add a slice of strawberry on top of the chocolate.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave as you did before.
- Pour evenly over the strawberries.
- Place in the freezer until frozen. About 1 hour or more.
- Store in the freezer.
- one piece = 45 cals / 3.5g fat / 2.9g carbs / 0.8g fiber / 0.4g protein = 2.1g net carbs
- Note: If you are using a different kind of chocolate your carb counts will vary.
Low Carb Chocolate Strawberry Treats