These chicken thighs were for my father in law. He does not like white meat as he’s told us numerous times. There are many other things he does not like but he does like chicken thighs so I’m trying to gather many recipes to keep him going this winter. We always eat chicken thighs with our polenta (see recipe here) and this recipe is much like that one in that there is butter and sage components. I made this all in one pan so it was a pretty easy dinner for all of us and everyone enjoyed it. Though my father in law would have preferred the carrots cut in circles. 😉
Though this is a one pan dish, you do have to brown your thighs first in a skillet. Below you can see that I was in a bit of a rush. I would have liked them browned a bit more. So as you are browning your chicken thighs, cut up your veggies and place in a baking dish to make a nice vegetable bed for your chicken. Before you place the chicken, cut up your butter into little pieces and sprinkle over the veggies first.
Next place your chicken thighs on top. In a separate bowl add your broth and spices and mix well. Pour this mixture over the chicken and then place the pan into the oven. I roasted my chicken thighs for about an hour until the vegetables were nice and soft.
That’s all there is to it! A nice warming one pan meal your whole family will love. Even picky father in laws!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- 6 chicken thighs, with bone and skin
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 red potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon (or other bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and heat to medium high.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over your chicken thighs and add to the hot frying pan.
- Brown on both sides (about 4-5 minutes each side).
- Meanwhile spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add your onions, carrots and potatoes to make an even layer of vegetables.
- Chop your butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Place your browned chicken breasts over the vegetables.
- Mix your chicken broth, bouillon, garlic, sage, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked.